Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Bacteria, protazoa and viruses

Well, the results are in.

  • Micah doesn't have Giardia but another bacteria.
  • Everyone's blood is fine.
  • We have yet to produce a sample for LooneyTune's intestinal content - who cannot bring himself to eat and continues to have severe nausea/stomach pain AND,
  • When Micah was at the Doctor's he found out that PrettyPinkPrincess' throat culture from a month and a half ago came out positive in several points! Nice of the office to let us know the results came in! Oh my. She had something (we can't read the little lab note) and they never let us know! Grrrr. Well, she might still have it so I suppose we will be taking a trip to see our doctor.

Medical attention is beyond amazing here in PERU. It actually is enough to drive me crazy. I can't believe I actually had a baby here!!!!!! Our fourth, LittlestBubby is Peruvian/American, and was born in the clinic where we go for everything medical related. Besides the 5-6 doctor's offices, there are 3 hospital-like rooms downstairs w/ 6 beds and an operating room. (I wish I had pictures!) It really is the only clinic within 5 hours that is anywhere near N.American standards.

When someone needs to go to the doctor, they cannot set an appointment; it is first come first served. The pediatrician's hours for example are 8am - 2pm and some days he works 5pm - 8pm and on other days 8pm- 9pm. (I'm not sure how anyone is supposed to keep track, but I digress...) So, depending on when you show up and how many people are ahead of you, you could spend over an hour with lots of other sick people in close quarters... just waiting to be seen!!!! We have tried to figure out when the least busy hours are and have had some luck. If we can manage to be first there in the morning that is usually best. But with 4 kiddies living in this less than developed city we take MANY trips to the doctor for various problems and spend WAY too much time at the doctor's office. We've tried to talk them into setting appointments, but unfortunately, they are right that the majority of the time it wouldn't work in this culture, where people are always running late, or changing without notice, etc, etc. Because Micah has been sick lately as well, he's taken the kids with him to be seen together, so I actually don't have much to complain about lately... I'm just not really excited to have to wait so long to find out with PrettyPinkPrincess what she had a month ago or might still have and possibly catching any bugs that we don't already have.

Okay, there's my rant for the day. :) I should learn to be thankful for the trials in patience!

Amy


Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - Untitled Comment

Posted by nsremom (71.32.254.253)
Whoa...not telling a patient about a positive lab test??? That's grounds for firing in the U.S. MAJOR mistake. What if it was serious? God Bless you guys for having a vision and devotion to our GOD that you willingly suffer such things.

And you had a baby in Peru?????

YOU AMAZE ME!!!!!

and yes, pictures would be a great addition to this post.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - Untitled Comment

Posted by drewsfamilytx (64.234.0.103)
Praying for you, Amy! It's always harder when the children are sick...we'd be willing to suffer more, but hate to see the little ones hurting.

Love,
Marsha

Thursday, June 1, 2006 - Untitled Comment

Posted by Rebeca (70.56.19.205)
Oh, I can (kind of ) relate to the frustration (Except that I was single when I was in SE Asia and dealt with similar medical situations. I can imagine it though, with small children! Bless you all, and I do hope for quick recovery!
Do you know about GSE? It really helped keep the stomach bugs at bay for me and my team who used it.
Blessings,
Rebeca

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Archive