Search This Blog

Monday, January 4, 2010

Isaac Newton's day

H a P p y  B i R t h D A y ! !

Isaac Newton was born today!
4 January 1643 – 31 March 1727

What a guy!  He was a serious mathematician inventing calculus, discovered that light could be split into different colors, and explained gravity!  The Lord definitely made him for a purpose, and he fulfilled that by not only using his God-given intelligence to pretty well close to his full potential, but he honored God acknowledging Him with his adoration and reverence.  I did not know that Isaac Newton was a Christian until very recently when we read this book for AOy5:


We read this book aloud with all my children.  It was understandable for my y1 girl yet not overly simplified for the y5 boys. This book did not have the "I can't put you down" factor going for it, and is very clearly written for a younger audience; identifies the young reader with Isaac's childhood, has simple vocabulary, short chapters, etc.  I really appreciated how it pointed out Isaac's spiritual growth alongside of his scientific advances.  I wouldn't mind reading another biography on his life written with an adult audience in mind.  This book definitely whetted my appetite to know more. This man accomplished a LOT!  The problem is, he was so smart, his discoveries so technical, that it might be difficult for a biographer to write about him in an engaging way without bogging the reader down in the details of his scientific development... but the main point is, this book did a good job of that because:

My kids enjoyed it.


Here are some impressive quotes from the book:
"We know [God] by his most wise and excellent contrivances of things, and final causes; we admire him for his perfections; but we reverence and adore him on account of his dominion."    ~Isaac Newton

"We must believe that he is the father of whom are all things, and that he loves his people as his children that they may mutually love him and obey him as their father."                             ~Isaac Newton

3 comments:

Martine said...

Hi Amy,
This sounds very interesting indeed! I would love to read this kind of books with my kids (when they are a little older...). I am now reading through the AO website. And I found a blog of a Dutch Mom who is teaching her kids using the CM method! I was just wondering what kind of Dutch books I could use and she published a list of book suggestions! I am getting more and more excited about this...

See you soon,
Martine

amy in peru said...

Martine,
This IS exciting! I'm so glad that you found another Dutch mom who can help you find some great books for Leon and Malou! They are some lucky kids!

See you Wednesday :)

GiGi said...

Peru! Wow how nice. Thank you for your sweet comments on my blog. Your kids are just beautiful
XoxoGapGirl

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Archive