Search This Blog

Monday, June 4, 2012

Pets as Nature Study.






Having pets around is AWESOME for nature study without knowing. :) Trick them into it, that's right!

Cats, how nimble, how independent (for the most part), their claws, how they look after themselves; dogs how rowdy, their habits, digging, protecting, chasing, fetching... these are all things we observe about our animals without even trying.

How about fish? We put a glass bowl in the middle of our dining table, with fish, snails and water plants. It provides for a very interesting eye-catcher during meals without being obtrusive. We've learned a lot just by watching. Did you know that snails eat fish? Well, I can tell you they do. I've observed it with my very own eyes! Keeping a small aquarium is a great option for people who move around a lot.

Having living things around is SUPER for laid back nature study. You can add interest or get those thinking juices flowing by throwing out questions now and then such as, 'Why do you suppose his claws are like that?' or 'How do you suppose he moves along the side of the glass without any fins or feet?', etc. Don't give an answer. Let them wonder about it. Let them pull out a book or two if they're still wondering later.

Apart from the normal pet options, here are others we've really enjoyed:
Bird feeder
Butterfly garden
Turtles
Lizards

I'm sure you can think of others!
If you'd like to join us this nature study monday, please leave the link to your post in the comments! :) 


6 comments:

Penny Rogers said...

What a great idea! We have cats, a dog, turtle and 2 snakes.  Here I am looking for nature study to be difficult and it's right in front of my eyes.  Thanks!

Rosemary said...

Amy would you mind deleting this one please? Silly me didn't comment properly. Thanks! Rosemary

Rmflynn1 said...

Tee hee:) I tried to get dd to draw our guinea pigs in our nature journals but it didn't work lol! Will have to try again :) thanks for this! I now know what to do with our two goldfish :)

Catherine said...

Hi! I finally managed to write a nature study post to coincide with your 'Nature Study Mondays'. Here it is:
http://www.gracetoabide.com/2012/06/nature-study-at-beach.html

Fieldguidesandfairytales said...

oops!  "newest"

Fieldguidesandfairytales said...

Hi Amy!  I just dicovered your blog and I love it! I am your knewest follower.   I chose a follower of my blog randomly this morning to receive a free book from my "bookstore."  It was you!  You may select a book from the list and let me know your address so that I can send it to you.  Thanks for following my blog too.
Jane  @ fieldguidesandfairytales.blogspot.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Archive