Search This Blog

Sunday, February 16, 2014

Secrets and Surprises.


We've kept at least five really big ones for nine whole months. Can you believe we've never ever told a single soul (pre-birth) the gender (or names) of our previous five babies-in-waiting? Matter of fact, we've been so good at keeping secrets, we even kept them from ourselves!

Until recently, despite the prescience of ultrasound, we managed not to find out who we were adding to our family until each one actually made his or her own personal entrance. Anticipation built over months to make the moment of birth into an irreplaceably dramatic revelation of what came at the end of the umbilical cord. An emotionally stirring Introduction. Of course, the secret couldn't help getting out then.

It was absolutely precious, and EXACTLY what we wanted.

For months, we had names picked out for either or, and we were ever so happy just to wait and see. When people asked, as they always did, what we were having, we'd give them pause by whispering, “A baby!” Of course, that's not what they wanted to know... and we knew it. But then again, we didn't know what they wanted to know either... if you know what I mean.

We've never found out ahead of time. Until last October, that is. This time, being most likely the last time, I was wavering about whether to know or not to know. Problem is, I was wavering right there on the ultrasound table. And the doctor was not wavering at all. She didn't even waver slightly as she discovered the telling sign and unwaveringly told us her discovery before we could tell her...

Oh.
Well, there was no going back then, was there...
So, now we knew.
Of course, it has been so long ago now.
It almost seems like we've always known who 'tis waiting (rather actively I might add) there inside me.
Oh and guess what?! Even though it's all so unexpected...

It's still absolutely precious, and EXACTLY what we wanted.

'Cause keeping a secret is hard work, this time we've decided to tell our secret before it gets accidentally discovered. Again. :) I hope this is as fun for you as it is for me... SURPRISE!
We're having a... baby!!

:)




Okay. I know. Look closely, now...



Oh, did you think getting secrets out of me was going to be easy?!
(Click to zoom)

:)

At last, the secret's out!!
We're really excited.
Only 8 weeks to go.



9 comments:

Blossom said...

Yay! So excited and happy for you guys. I tried to click that tiny picture and it didn't work at first- I thought you were being a stinker! lol! :) Can't wait to 'meet' the little Tuttle soon- and find out the chosen name.

amyinperu said...

:) thanks, kelly!! it's fun to know ahead this time!

amyinperu said...

keeping it a surprise just makes the moment of birth SO... i have no words that would describe it.
HOWEVER. it is also fun to know who is bumping and thumping around in there. babies are just fun. ;)


that is HILARIOUS that you made that bargain with him... so he didn't even know you knew?! that's amazing! i think i could keep the secret from anyone except my husband, only 'cause i'd want SO much for him to be a secretkeeper with me! which has been fun, though i am not at all sure he hasn't accidentally slipped before now. if so, he's done an amazing cover up!

amyinperu said...

i'm so glad you said something, actually!! i hadn't meant to make it quite so difficult!! i fixed the links now ;)

Celeste said...

Congrats! I have to admit: we always find out. :) It is *so* hard for us to come up with ONE name, I can't imagine having to come up with TWO each time. LOL We're having a boy this time around (after two baby girls in a row), but still no name...12 weeks left here!

Amy Caroline said...

Congratulations!!!

Alesha H said...

Congratulations!!! We're so excited for y'all! In fact, my 7 yr old. just walked by and saw the pics with the baby clothes and thought you had had the baby. I was amusingly antsy to find out you still had 2 more months to wait. :P On a side note, a friend of mine sent us a geography project, and I was wondering if you had time/inclination to play along. The idea is that this paper doll boy 'visits' various places before being mailed back to his owner, a 3rd grader in Montana. :) If your kids would be willing to write a little something about where you live, snap a picture and mail him on, I'll send 'him' your way. (If it sounds like one extra thing for an already swamped homeschool mama getting ready for her baby to get here, let me know that too, and I'll send him elsewhere. ;) I just thought that since he made it as far as Ecuador, he could continue his globe trotting a little bit before heading back to the states.

Tresa Johnson said...

Thank you for sharing! I love you guys so much and I am so happy for this huge blessing that is being added to your lives and your family!

Marcia said...

yeah! I'm praying it's an easy birth for you. Wish I could meet her in MN this summer!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Archive